Thank you for your interest in serving as a Menifee Police Department Citizen Volunteer! This document will provide an overview of the volunteer program, minimum requirements, and our expectations. Our goal is to provide all the information you need to make an informed decision about moving to the next step in the process.
The Menifee Police Department values our strong relationship with the community. While we are fully staffed, equipped, and trained to provide our city with the highest quality service and protection, we still rely on our citizens to help us fulfill our mission. Citizen volunteers play an important role in our success as one of California’s premier law enforcement agencies.
VOLUNTEER SERVICE TEAMS
Menifee Police Volunteers serve in every area of the department including administration, investigations, patrol, and community services. Our goal is to provide prospective volunteers with a variety of opportunities so that you will serve in an area that compliments your interest and skills. Some of the volunteer teams include:
- COMMUNITY PATROL
- RECORDS / ADMINISTRATION
- NEIGHBORHOOD WATCH
- INVESTIGATIONS SUPPORT
- MAJOR INCIDENT CALL-OUT
- PARKING / CODE ENFORCEMENT
We want our volunteers to be invested and committed to the department’s success, so we ask our volunteers to commit to serving a minimum of 16 hours per month. Volunteers must agree to represent the department professionally whether on-duty or off-duty.
Our program is designed to provide opportunities for Menifee residents to serve their community. Priority will be given to applicants who reside in the city of Menifee or surrounding unincorporated areas. All volunteers are required to attend a 24-hour Citizen Volunteer Academy hosted by the Menifee Police Department.
WHAT TO EXPECT
The following outline provides details on the process of becoming a Menifee Police Citizen Volunteer:
- Initial Application: Basic identifying information is requested to assess the applicant’s suitability for service in a law enforcement environment.
- Screening: Your application will be screened for disqualifying information such as felony convictions, gang affiliation or recent illegal drug use.
- Interview: You will be invited to a short interview to further determine your suitability to serve as a Menifee Police Volunteer.
- Supplemental Application: Successful candidates will be required to complete a detailed supplemental application documenting employment history, previous residences, personal and family references and personal history.
- Live-Scan Fingerprint Check: You will submit your fingerprints to a national database to verify criminal history.
- Background Investigation: A detailed background investigation will be conducted to verify the information you provide. The investigation includes reference checks, neighborhood and local agency checks and employment verification.
- Citizen Volunteer Academy: Upon successful completion of the background investigation, you will be invited to attend a 24-hour Volunteer Training Academy. The academy is presented over a 10-week period, 1 night per week for 3 hours. Volunteers will be exposed to all aspects of the department in a classroom setting. The academy graduation is one of the highlights of the program!
For more information, please contact:
Dave Brown, Interim Director of Public Safety
Menifee Police Department