Here are some of the most common questions at the Menifee Police Department.


Identity Theft – What do I do if I think I have been victimized?

Our information can be obtained, stolen, and misused, in many different ways. This can be your identifying information or financial information. Suspects that obtain this information most often use it to obtain goods, services, or money.

Penal Code Section 530.5 provides that every person who willfully obtains personal identifying information for any unlawful purpose including obtaining or attempting to obtain credit, goods, services or medical information in the name of the other person without the consent of that person is guilty of a public offense.

Personal Identifying Information includes:

· Address

· Demand deposit account number

· Driver’s license number

· Employee identification number

· Mother’s maiden name

· Name

· Place of employment

· Savings account number or credit card number of an individual person

· Social security number

· Telephone number

Filing a Report

If you belief you are a victim of identity theft, file a report with the law enforcement agency where you reside. Agencies work together to determine where the crime happened and will forward your report to the appropriate jurisdiction for investigative purposes. Menifee detectives will investigate identify offense that occurred within the city.

You are the only one who can clear your credit report. Due to privacy laws, creditors cannot share information regarding your accounts - even fraudulent ones - until you have personally notified the creditor of the fraudulent nature of the account(s).

Additionally, if you have been a victim of identity theft, you may be able to place fraud alerts on your credit accounts. For more information and resources, please visit identitytheft.gov

How do I submit a crime tip?

To have an officer contact you regarding concerning surrounding suspected narcotics activity, please call 951-723-1590.

If you have a tip about criminal activity occurring in the City of Menifee, please contact us 951-723-1600. You may submit a tip by email: Investigations@menifeepolice.org

It is helpful when calling to provide as much detail as possible, to include names, addresses, vehicles, and any other information which you believe would be of assistance. You may be anonymous, but please know anonymous calls are not considered reliable information and must be corroborated before law enforcement action can be taken.


How do I become a Crime Scene Investigator?

Our Crime Scene Investigators are experts in a wide range of duties, included but not limited to:

· Forensic photography

· Sketching, or diagramming, of scenes using hand drawn or computer-aided drawing software

· Processing various types of items for fingerprint evidence using different types of chemicals, powders, or alternate light sources

· Collection and preservation of DNA evidence

· Documentation and analysis of blood stains

· Preservation and proper packaging of evidence collected

· Ability to conduct comparisons and identifications of the fingerprints obtained

· Possession of excellent verbal and written communication skills needed to complete detailed written reports and then give comprehensive testimony in a court of law

These are just a few of the areas that our CSI’s have received extensive training in. We also recommend you obtain a general education within the criminal justice field.

There are two local programs that offer a Crime Scene Investigation emphasis: Riverside City College and University of California, Riverside Extension. Also, here in Menifee, Mt. San Jacinto College offers an excellent Administration of Justice Program.

Can I come on a Ride-Along with CSI?

Unfortunately, due to the sensitive and confidential material that we handle, we are unable to provide the opportunity for a Ride-Along. But we are more than happy to speak about our position and duties. We are available for career days, class presentations, and STEM nights. We can adjust our dialogue for any age group. Please contact us at 951-723-1526, or EvidenceRequest@menifeepolice.org, with your requests.


Does my child need to be in a child safety seat?
How do I obtain a copy of my collision report?

Collision reports can take time to become available to the public, we recommend contacting our Records Unit at (951) 723-1500 to see if your report is ready for pick up.

I was involved in a collision, who do I call to report it?

If there is an emergency, please dial 9-1-1.

If there is no emergency, you can call the non-emergency number (951) 677-4964.

My vehicle was towed, how do I get it released?

Depending on the reason for the vehicle being towed, you can contact the records department at (951) 723-1500 to request a vehicle release. To obtain a vehicle release, you must be the current registered owner on file with the Department of Motor Vehicles. Lienholders must be shown on the DMV record at the time of the vehicle’s impound or storage. The registered owner and a licensed driver must be present to process the release.


After receiving the release paperwork from the Police Department, you must then go to the tow yard that has possession of your vehicle. There, you need to pay the fees associated with the towing and storage of your vehicle. These fees are separate from the release fees paid at the Police Department.


If the vehicle was impounded for 30 days, you can request a validity hearing through our records department.

Where can I get a copy of the DMV Driver’s Safety Handbook?
I received a correctable citation (fix-it ticket), where can I get it signed off?

Menifee Police Officers can sign off your correctable citations that are issued either by our department, or by another agency.

To have your citation signed off, you can come to the Menifee Police Department front desk and request a citation sign off. There will be a fee of $20 assessed for any citation sign-off. For questions, please call (951) 723-1500.


When will my property be available for release?

Safekeeping and found property are available for release immediately except for firearms. There are specific guidelines pertaining to firearms. Evidence is held until complete adjudication of the case has occurred, or a Certified Copy of a signed court order is provided to the Evidence Specialist. Any property seized pursuant to a search warrant requires a court order to release the property per California Penal Code § 1536.

How do I pick-up my property?

Property walk-in hours are Tuesdays 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. and Thursdays 9 a.m. – 1 p.m., these are subject to change without notice due to unforeseen circumstances. You may also schedule an appointment with the Evidence Specialist by calling 951-723-1526, or by emailing EvidenceRequest@menifeepolice.org. You will need to have a VALID, GOVERNMENT ISSUED PHOTO ID for the pick-up of any items.

Can I claim the property that I found?

Upon turning found property over to department personnel, finders may sign an Affidavit of Finder of Property statement. Items will be held for 90 days. After 90 days, finders may contact the Evidence Specialist for information on how to claim property. Unclaimed items will be disposed of according to law.

How do I retrieve my firearm?

Firearms are held as prescribed per penal code. Once the firearm is available for release, the Evidence Specialist will contact the owner of the firearm. If there is no recorded owner of the firearm, proof of ownership must be provided before the release process can begin. The requesting party must be the recorded owner of the firearm, and a Law Enforcement Gun Release Application must be approved prior to the release of the firearm. More information and legal updates can be found on the California Department of Justice, Bureau of Firearms website. The following forms can be accessed through the CFARS website: Firearm Ownership Report, New Resident Report of Firearm Ownership, Report of Operation of Law, Report of Intra-Familial Firearm Transaction, and the Law Enforcement release Application. An Ammunition Eligibility Check can also be self-administered on this CFARS website. The Menifee Police Department suggests that you create a user profile on the CFARS website so that users will have full functionality, including the ability to view activity history, receive electronic notifications, and submit questions to DOJ.

If you have any questions about the process of retrieving a firearm, please contact the Evidence Specialist at 951-723-1526, or by emailing EvidenceRequest@menifeepolice.org.


Where can I see a copy of the current budget?
Where can I see a copy of the CSA 86 Audit Report?
What is measure DD?