One of the greatest fears of older adults is being alone and isolated. To provide comfort and security to older and disabled adults, the Menifee Police Department provides a free service where police personnel check on their welfare on a regular basis. The program known as “You Are Not Alone” is coordinated by Menifee PD Volunteers who make regular contact with YANA participants by phone and if necessary, a home visit. The mission of the program is to promote security for the City of Menifee’s older adults living alone and peace of mind for their families.
Please note: We do not provide medical assistance, but rather a measure of security with our visits.
How the program works:
- Telephone calls by Menifee PD volunteers are made at prearranged times.
- If the participant does not answer the phone call at the prearranged time, family, friends and neighbors are contacted.
- If the participant does not answer after several attempts at contact, a series of steps are followed to ensure the participant’s safety.
- Provide peace of mind and sense of comfort and confidence for City’s homebound older or disabled adult residents who enjoy the independence of living alone.
- Isolated people are at a higher risk for exploitation from predators who target older adults and those who lack social support. By staying connected to the community, participants can reduce the chance of being victimized.
- Isolation can cause individuals to develop hoarding like behavior leading to unsanitary and unhealthy living conditions. YANA volunteers can help reduce the feeling of isolation.
To qualify for the YANA Program, participants must:
- Be a resident of the City of Menifee
- Complete the registration form
- Provide emergency contact information
- Sign the registration form (Unsigned forms will not be accepted)
Participation is free. The only requirement is that participants are able to answer the phone and provide one emergency contact. For assistance in completing the registration form or to request more information, contact the YANA Program Coordinator, by email at: DG_PD_Volunteers@menifeepolice.org
Return completed applications to Menifee Police Department, ATTN: YANA 29714 Haun Rd, Unit A, Menifee, CA 92586
YANA referrals can also be made via phone or email by friends or family members who know someone who lives in the City of Menifee and would benefit from this program. Participants will need to consent if referred by friend or family member.